I cannot connect via OpenVPN on my QNap T130 device at home

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
turkaykoc
OpenVpn Newbie

I cannot connect via OpenVPN on my QNap T130 device at home

Post by turkaykoc » Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:04 am

I am using at home QNap TS130 device and installed QVPN Service on it and want to use OpenVPN option. How ever OpenVPN agent on my Win11 laptop says "connection timeout". I am not an expert on this issues but I guess my ISP modem is blocking some how the connection. It has to do with port redirection or so. Is there someone to make some advices how to solve this issue? Thank you in advance.

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: I cannot connect via OpenVPN on my QNap T130 device at home

Post by openvpn_inc » Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:48 am

Hello turkaykoc,

Connection timeout just means the client has tried to connect for some time, but got zero response from the server. So either the address that it is connecting to is wrong (an internal IP instead of a public IP or public DNS name for example), or access to the OpenVPN server is not possible from where the client is. And yes, port forwarding could be what you need to do, but that depends on your situation. Since it's a NAS I am assuming it is in your private network and has a private IP like 192.168.1.2 or something. In that case go to your router and open the necessary ports in your router and forward them to that IP. When the OpenVPN client then approaches your Internet's public IP, it should forward that incoming connection to your QNAP device. The client connection configuration must be such that the address it tries to connect to is a public address that ends up on your router.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support