Network error when connecting to network share

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

w1se
OpenVpn Newbie

Network error when connecting to network share

Post by w1se » Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:53 pm

Hello,

I have two computers. One remote, and one local. Both of which connect to a server on the local network.

The remote computer connects via VPN and does not have any issues accessing the mapped network drive on the server.

The local computer does not normally use vpn, but from time to time does go offsite and then connects via VPN. To test setup, I have been connecting via hotspot on my phone. For some reason, when connecting this way, and trying to access the mapped netowork drive, I get a windows error.

Window Header: "Restoring Netowork Connections"
Window Body: "An error occurred while reconnecting V: to \\IPADDRESS\FOLDER Microsoft windows network: the local device name is already in use. This connection has not been restored."

If I disconnect the VPN and return to my local network, the mapped drive works without issue.

What is causing this problem and how do I fix it?

Thanks in advance.

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Network error when connecting to network share

Post by openvpn_inc » Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:56 pm

Hello w1se,

Sorry, but this seems more an issue with Windows file sharing than OpenVPN? I suggest you try if you can ping the server and can browse the fileshares by opening \\IPADDRESSHERE and seeing if you can get contact that way. If the files are browseable that way it seems you're dealing with a Windows fileshare problem. May need to disconnect/reconnect that fileshare or something to try and fix it.

Good luck,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

w1se
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by w1se » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:13 pm

I can ping the server ip. I cannot browse files or folders however.

I get an error which says: "the username or password is incorrect."

Why would this work while not using VPN, but then fail when connected via vpn?

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:16 pm

Hi w1se,

I am pretty sure that this is a Windows filesharing problem and not an OpenVPN problem. If you can ping it, it's reachable for sure, and that's where OpenVPN involvement with this ends.

So to answer your question, I would advise to try reading event viewer logs about your attempts to connect to Windows filesharing, and to see if there are other possible answers regarding the warning message you're getting when trying to connect.

Good luck,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

w1se
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by w1se » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:56 pm

Thanks. But I don't think you are right, and that this is indeed a VPN related issue.

I have just read online that there are instances where the VPN uses it's login credentials to access the file share with the same credentials. There should be a setting somewhere to turn this off. This would explain my situation perfectly, as the offsite computer I have described above uses the same credentials for both, whereas the local computer does not.

Do you know where this setting is and how to change it?

Pippin
Forum Team

Post by Pippin » Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:02 pm

It's still a Windows thing ;)
Not a Windows user but there is some configuration panel somewhere where one can add/delete credentials.

Maybe Windows has some kind of credentials manager?
I gloomily came to the ironic conclusion that if you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality.
Halton Arp

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:11 pm

Hello w1se,

> I have just read online that there are instances where the VPN uses it's login credentials to access the file share with the same credentials. There should be a setting somewhere to turn this off.

Sorry, but no, that functionality doesn't exist here with OpenVPN, so there is no setting for it.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.

w1se
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by w1se » Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:15 pm

Well you might all be right, thank you for the feedback. As a work around, I tried adding a new user matching my VPN credentials to the share, and it didn't work.

If someone can point me to a good help forum for this issue it would be a great help.

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:11 am

Hello w1se,

You might try https://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/.

Good luck,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.