TAP mode is not supported

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
zeus64
OpenVpn Newbie

TAP mode is not supported

Post by zeus64 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:01 am

Hello,

I installed the 3.3.6 version of OpenVPN connect and when I try to import an openVPN config I received "Error message: Option_error: proto_option_error: TAP mode is not supported"

What can I do to make it working? Note: it's work very well with an old version of OpenVPN

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: TAP mode is not supported

Post by openvpn_inc » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:12 am

Hello zeus64,

TAP mode, or bridging mode, is not supported in OpenVPN3 based clients like OpenVPN Connect v3. Please use an OpenVPN2 based client for that use-case, such as OpenVPN GUI.

And no, we do not have any plans or intentions to bring bridging support to OpenVPN3. We do not recommend bridging and I will also take this opportunity again to point out that in almost all use cases using routing is the better solution. You might want to look into that.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

zeus64
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by zeus64 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:49 am

thanks Johan, can I use on my computer both openVPN connect 3.3.6 and OpenVPN connect 2 ?
The problem is that I do not have the hand over the openVPN server so I can't change it :(

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:06 am

Hello zeus64,

Yes you can use both programs side-by-side.

Good luck,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support