INTERNAL ROUTE AUTOMATIC FAILOVER

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
rkitindi
OpenVpn Newbie

INTERNAL ROUTE AUTOMATIC FAILOVER

Post by rkitindi » Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:30 pm

What I want to achieve is very simple but I DO NOT know how to it.

I have two openvpn clients (I want to set them up in active/standby mode), both connected to the same LAN, I am using Keepalived virtual ip address on LAN interface so all computers on LAN can always connect when one server is down for outgoing traffic.

Both clients have been configured with same iroute setting as they save same LAN, so on boot up they both advertise same LAN to openVPN server, what I thought was, when one client is down, we can still reach LAN via a second client.

This is not happening,

What is happening is, when I ping an ip address on LAN, openVPN server associate that IP with a client which booted up last, and when I turn off this client, openvpn server does which to using another client who know how to reach to this same subnet, my ping fail that's it.

How can I make openvpn server switch to another client who knows how to reach to this LAN?

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: INTERNAL ROUTE AUTOMATIC FAILOVER

Post by TinCanTech » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:20 pm

This is not a configuration issue because Openvpn cannot be configured to do this.

The Openvpn internal routing table can only be updated when a client CCD file is read,
which contains an --iroute directive.

Conflicting --iroute directives over-write the previous setting.

The only solution available, which only uses Openvpn, is to start your backup client
when your main client fails.

As they are both on the same internet connection, it hardly seems worth the call..

rkitindi
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: INTERNAL ROUTE AUTOMATIC FAILOVER

Post by rkitindi » Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:05 pm

100% agreed! I just wanted to get a second opinion