OpenVPN was banned in my country | Explain how can we bypass

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
Vortex.Cubes
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN was banned in my country | Explain how can we bypass

Post by Vortex.Cubes » Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:06 am

Hi dear manager,
In my country gov is fighting with services like OpenVPN and at this time many people can not connect to OpenVPN servers.
Would you please explain how can our isps do this job and explain the process?
Also would you please teach us to bypass this prevention!

Thanks for the attention

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: OpenVPN was banned in my country | Explain how can we bypass

Post by openvpn_inc » Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:17 am

Hello Vortex.Cubes,

At the moment it is not known to me how they are blocking things. But my guess would be that they recognize the particular handshake packets that OpenVPN uses and then send an RST to tell the VPN client that the connection has 'failed'. And they may be using simpler methods like blocking specific target ports. To be honest I don't know which method they're using and I'm not in a position to test it out myself.

Regarding bypassing it, that's a bit tricky. If we come up with a method, the bad guys will find a way to counter it. Then we need to come up with a new method, and then the bad guys will find a way to counter that too. So it's hard for us to provide something that consistently works. Certain VPN service providers spend a lot of time and effort on inventing new ways to defeat this type of blocking and maintaining those.

One thing you could look into is obfsproxy. Its goal is to disguise traffic in an attempt to defeat firewalls. There are guides online that explain how to use OpenVPN through obfsproxy. Hopefully that will provide a solution for you.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

Vortex.Cubes
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: OpenVPN was banned in my country | Explain how can we bypass

Post by Vortex.Cubes » Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:03 pm

Thanks a ton for the answer.
I am certainly sure this is not port blocking because i test some OpenVPN services from different ports.
By the way thanks for the answer again.