AES instruction set support has not been detected on this host

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
Vortex.Cubes
OpenVpn Newbie

AES instruction set support has not been detected on this host

Post by Vortex.Cubes » Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:32 am

Hi dear managers,
Some month ago i installed openvpn access server on my centos 7 vps.
Every thing was ok and working.

Today after login to my panel i faced this warning :

"AES instruction set support has not been detected on this host. This may cause performance degradation. Consult your virtualization solution and/or BIOS/UEFI setting to enable AES instructions."

It was n't there before.
Can you tell me openvpn is updating itself on my server?
Also tell me will i face problem without AES instruction support of my vps?
I think this feature is for new motherboards and my vps's server can not handle it.

Thanks for future advance

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: AES instruction set support has not been detected on this host

Post by openvpn_inc » Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:46 am

Hi VC,

The AES-NI instruction set is shown by the CPU flag "aes" in Linux (see /proc/cpuinfo.) It is not new and has been required by Access Server for many years.

"Required" is too strong; "preferred" is more like it. Access Server will work without it. Unfortunately it will make the CPU work harder to perform the encryption. That's why the warning was shown.

If the warning wasn't there before, it's possible that your VPS provider moved you to a different physical machine with an older non-AES-NI CPU. Ask your provider. You should ask the provider if they can put you on a more modern CPU, or to reenable AES-NI if it was disabled for some reason.

regards, rob0
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

Vortex.Cubes
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Vortex.Cubes » Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:03 am

Thanks for the quick answer.
I asked my provider and they told we did n't change anything on our side.
In my country they are fighting with services like OpenVPN and i was a reseller of this service.
So gov people are trying to hack my servers all the time.
I now there were inside my vps.
Maybe they changed web panel script to show this warning all the time.
Or maybe they changed something in my vps.
I am certainly sure this is from my vps not provider.
So give me some advice to figure out what is the problem.
However at this time no body can login to OpenVPN servers.

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:02 am

Hello Vortex.Cubes,

If OpenVPN Access Server is installed using our instructions on our website that use our software repository, then when you update packages on your system using yum update or apt update && apt upgrade, then Access Server will be updated as well.

If as you say it is true that nothing was changed in terms of hardware on your VPS, then it is possible that in the past you ran a version of Access Server that did not have AES acceleration detection and the warning message, and that after upgrading Access Server, this warning is now showing.

Not having AES acceleration on your VPS can result in a slower transfer speed because the CPU has to work harder to encrypt and decrypt data. It can never result in a failure to connect. A failure to connect is a problem with the connection, like a firewall block or misconfiguration.

Unfortunately there is little we can do on our end to prevent your government from blocking things.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support