Synology keep same cert from old model

Scripts to manage certificates or generate config files

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

pstoric83
OpenVpn Newbie

Synology keep same cert from old model

Post by pstoric83 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:12 pm

Doing a cutover migration for a Synology this weekend and some users are using the Open VPN package on the old unit. While I've installed the same package on the new model and mirrored the settings plus all the users, groups, share permissions have been imported, I know the cert is different as I can see when I export the .ovpn file and scroll to the bottom.

I plan on changing the IP and hostname of the old NAS, then reusing the originals on the new unit so SMB shares/shortcuts should work seamlessly I hope but for the OVPN, can I export and import the Synology default self-signed cert from the old to new unit and make it the default so that nothing would have to be changed on the user's workstations come Monday after the cutover?

Having to remote into each one to upload the new .ovpn file is possible but if I can avoid that, would be great. I'm thinking if I import it and set it as the default the .ovpn cert should be identical? The Synology OS version is the same between both models

https://www.screencast.com/t/2mzIAwyPvrP

pstoric83
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Synology keep same cert from old model

Post by pstoric83 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:22 pm

Synology support said it's fine to do that and now the exported config on the new model matches perfectly. Will test after changing the IP tomorrow.