Connecting via IP impossible

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
mpunktw
OpenVpn Newbie

Connecting via IP impossible

Post by mpunktw » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:07 pm

It happens sometimes that my dynDNS is not working. My provider dooesn't change my IP too often, so it would bea good idea to connect via IP in such cases. Like today.

My config.ovpn contains
remote 90.146.xxx.xxx 1194

But in the logfile there is following error message:
2022-09-29 09:26:02 RESOLVE: Cannot resolve host address: blablabla.synology.me:1194 (Der angegebene Host ist unbekannt. )

I double checked if I changed the right config file. Why does openVPN not use 90.146.xxx.xxx but the (today invalid) dynDNS?

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Connecting via IP impossible

Post by openvpn_inc » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:23 pm

Hello mpunktw,

You submitted this in OpenVPN Connect for Windows forum so I must assume you are using OpenVPN Connect v3 on Windows. In that case, you need to make the change in the config.ovpn file, and reimport that file so it will take effect.

However there is an easier way, and maybe you have already been using this. If you tap the pencil icon to edit the profile, you can see a 'Server Override (optional)' field. You can put an entry in here like 90.146.xxx.xxx so that it will override whatever was configured in the OpenVPN configuration profile itself. This is for situations like these where your server address changed and you need to update it without having to edit the configuration profile.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

mpunktw
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by mpunktw » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:37 pm

Thank you for the quick reply.
I'm using openVPN 2.5.7. which i dowloaded from here: https://openvpn.net/community-downloads/ a few minutes ago.
When right click > import > file openVPN says that the config is already in use.
I cannot find a pencil icon in this version

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:55 pm

Hello mpunktw,

Yeah you posted in the wrong section because that is not OpenVPN Connect, that is OpenVPN GUI, the community client. Everything I said earlier then does not apply.

In your case you will have to stop the connection first, and then edit the config file, and then start the connection again. If that doesn't work try a reboot of your Windows machine. If that doesn't work, then I would say you're not using that config file or that config file has more remote lines in it that still reference the domain instead of the IP.

Good luck,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support