Hide IP of VPN server

This is the forum to post your config. Include diagrams, usage graphs, and all the other goodies to show off your network.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

voicing
OpenVpn Newbie

Hide IP of VPN server

Post by voicing » Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:28 pm

Hi All,

I would like to know if there was a way to hide the IP address of my VPN server? If I'm away from home and want to connect back to my LAN I usually inoput my ISP IP and connect using OpenVPN. Problem is anyone on the network can see where I'm connecting to and I'd rather not have them know my home IP.

I looked at using Cloudflare but it appears to only proxy HTTP requests. I could use OpenVPN cloud but I'd prefer not to have my LAN opened up to a corporations cloud service 24/7.

Is there a way to do this via a proxy and my own domain?

Cheers,
Voicing

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Hide IP of VPN server

Post by TinCanTech » Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:51 pm

voicing wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:28 pm
if there was a way to hide the IP address of my VPN server?
<snip>
Problem is anyone on the network can see where I'm connecting to and I'd rather not have them know my home IP
Short answer: No.

Long answer: Run your VPN server from a hosted VPS and make your home a client on the VPN.

What threat do you perceive ?

For your technological edification: This Forum has logged the IP address of the location where you made your post from.

Assuming some details from your post, it is a reasonable bet that said IP address is that of your server.

I heard the Oz had banned the use of VPNs..

voicing
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by voicing » Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:24 am

No ban of VPN's here at all.

I don't mind people knowing my IP address, but I'd prefer if some people didn't. At the end of the day you're having to connect to something and give it away. I just would like to choose who.

In the absence of a better option, could I use OpenVPN Cloud to act as a man in the middle to have my router connect to the Cloud (as a client) and my clients?

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:05 am

voicing wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:24 am
could I use OpenVPN Cloud to act as a man in the middle to have my router connect to the Cloud (as a client) and my clients?
Yes.
TinCanTech wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:51 pm
Long answer: Run your VPN server from a hosted VPS and make your home a client on the VPN.

proxyman333
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by proxyman333 » Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:59 am

I'm also trying to do this, I think.

Trying to add a proxy to my Open VPN access server, basically so I can connect to a proxy on my android phones (for marketing purposes).

Am I barking up the wrong tree?