OpenVpn cloud and 4G router

Next-generation cloud-hosted OpenVPN business solution.
patopat
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVpn cloud and 4G router

Post by patopat » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:51 pm

Hi,

I have a RUT955 router from Teltonika with 4G mobile connection. Due to the mobile provider CGNAT, I have a private IP adress.

The router has some services and OpenVPN feature.
I would like from a laptop connected to internet anywhere in the Europe, do a remote access on a PC connected on the router. Is it possible ?

Best regards,
Pat

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: OpenVpn cloud and 4G router

Post by openvpn_inc » Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:58 pm

patopat wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:51 pm
I have a RUT955 router from Teltonika with 4G mobile connection. Due to the mobile provider CGNAT, I have a private IP adress.

The router has some services and OpenVPN feature.
I would like from a laptop connected to internet anywhere in the Europe, do a remote access on a PC connected on the router. Is it possible ?
Hi Pat,

Through OpenVPN Cloud that indeed should be possible. You run a connector from home, and then connect as a client to OpenVPN Cloud from anywhere (In Europe or otherwise.) You can then access the connector through Cloud, and, if configured, you can access the LAN behind the router.

According to this link:
https://openvpn.net/cloud-docs/deployin ... le-router/
it is possible to run the connector on your router. Unfortunately they did a bad job with their openvpn support, because it does not support the all-in-one client profiles as provided by OpenVPN Cloud and Access Server. (I'd suggest that you complain to your vendor about their inadequate implementation of openvpn; it lacks support for the single --config option.)

Note however that "possible" might not mean "practical". You probably have lopsided asymmetric bandwidth on the 4G link, so GUI sessions through the VPN might be painfully slow. If that is the case you might want to consider text-based access such as ssh. All GNU/Linux and Unix OS have long provided openssh's sshd(8), and recent Windows versions do too.

regards, rob0
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

patopat
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by patopat » Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:41 pm

Hi Rob0,

Just an update, with the new firmware 7.x from Teltonika, the all-in-one-client profile works very well.

Best regards,
Pat

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:58 pm

Hi Pat,

Thank you for the update, this is good to know.

regards, rob0
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support