OpenVPN Plugin (duo/auth-pem)

How to customize and extend your OpenVPN installation.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

wrongdongdirection
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN Plugin (duo/auth-pem)

Post by wrongdongdirection » Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:38 am

Hello dear forum

I have created the OpenVPN community on my Debian 11 with a script. This all works flawlessly and I can connect. Now I have the following problems, which I have researched and get nowhere.

I have configured OpenVPN server so that this makes with the plugin openvpn-plugin-auth-pam.so via-env as well as client-side (auth-user-pass and script-security 2/3) a login query. But this does not work. I can enter any login that does not exist on the server and it still connects. I have the same problem with DUO (MF2). I set it up as officially described and still I can enter some random password and the connection is initalized.

Furthermore I wanted to check the logs (Server.conf -> log-append openvpn.log) and still nothing is logged.

Do you have any idea what the problem could be? Because I am running out of ideas

Thanks a lot!!

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: OpenVPN Plugin (duo/auth-pem)

Post by openvpn_inc » Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:30 am

Hi wdd,

If the thing is running but not logging, perhaps you have the wrong permissions on the log file, or a disk full? Default logging is to syslog, does that work if you remove --log-append?

You will of course need to share some actual information after you get the logging to work. If all else fails you can log to stdout by removing the log-append line.

regards, rob0
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support