OpenVPN on Amazon AWS blocked

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
vpnlearner
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN on Amazon AWS blocked

Post by vpnlearner » Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:30 pm

Hi all,

I set up an AWS Instance using the OpenVPN Access Server from the AWS marketplace.
I've got it up and running and can set up the vpn connection.

When I visit whatismyipaddress.com it shows my country as the country of the AWS instance.

But when I visit the website I want to access and click the login button I see this:
403 ERROR
The request could not be satisfied.
Request blocked. We can't connect to the server for this app or website at this time. There might be too much traffic or a configuration error. Try again later, or contact the app or website owner.
If you provide content to customers through CloudFront, you can find steps to troubleshoot and help prevent this error by reviewing the CloudFront documentation.
What is the reason for this?
I am not doing anything with cloudfront or anything, but still see this.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: OpenVPN on Amazon AWS blocked

Post by openvpn_inc » Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:38 pm

Hi learner,

Without any concrete information we can't provide any concrete help. It appears from what you did share that your AWS IP address is blocked in CloudFront, and the destination IP address you are trying to reach through your AWS OpenVPN is hosted by CloudFront.

We can't help you with that. CloudFront can (but might not) help. AWS might be able to help. Another choice is to try a different cloud service provider other than AWS, such as GCP or Azure. Good luck.

regards, rob0
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: OpenVPN on Amazon AWS blocked

Post by openvpn_inc » Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:35 pm

Hi learner,

Just one more tip - it might be that the IP of the instance you launched on AWS was previously used by a system that did something naughty. So the reputation of that IP now on your instance on AWS might be bad and therefore blocked. You could try launching a new instance and terminating the old one. Then you should get a new IP and hopefully then you don't have bad luck with the IP. You could also wait, the IP's reputation may improve automatically.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support