Suppress "WARNING: this configuration may cache passwords in memory -- use the auth-nocache option", but keep psw cached

This is where we can discuss what we would like to see added or changed in OpenVPN.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

honza
OpenVpn Newbie

Suppress "WARNING: this configuration may cache passwords in memory -- use the auth-nocache option", but keep psw cached

Post by honza » Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:07 pm

In OpenVPN GUI, I am getting the red message
WARNING: this configuration may cache passwords in memory -- use the auth-nocache option to prevent this.
I do not want to always re-type my password again and again. Is there a way to suppress the warning without using the auth-nocache option?

I do not want to get myself used to habitually ignoring a red warning in the log dialog. This bad habit might prevent me from noticing an actual issue in the future. We have @SuppressWarnings in Java for exactly the same reason.

I want to emphasize that I am not choosing between security and convenience, but I am asking for higher security! Multiple internet sources I found on this warning (e.g. here, here or here) tell that the risk is minimal. However the risk that I become used to ignore warnings seems much higher to me.

MartinYoung
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Suppress "WARNING: this configuration may cache passwords in memory -- use the auth-nocache option", but keep psw ca

Post by MartinYoung » Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:03 am

I second this. When you are running a service, many users keep asking if the warning means a risk.