How to sync .ovpn file with app via iTunes?

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
ruKatKeeper
OpenVpn Newbie

How to sync .ovpn file with app via iTunes?

Post by ruKatKeeper » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:03 pm

I had to install the OpenVPN app on my iPad for a business trip coming up so I can access company servers on their VPN. I tried to follow the instructions presented after installing the app to import .ovpn file and key file via iTune sync. Either I am stupid (a possibility I do not deny), or the instructions are wrong, or at least extremely unclear. At least to someone who doesn't do much with iPad except surf the web, read ebooks, and listen to music.

"Using iTunes Sync..." - I have no such app on my Mac. I have only iTunes v. 11.0.1 (12). That has a menu option File > Devices > Sync "My iPad Name"

"...select your device..." - OK, it's clear how to select iPad (which is connected via cable)

"...go to OpenVPN under the 'apps' tab..." - there is no such tab. There is a drop-down menu on which you can select "Apps". When I do that, the screen shows tiles for all the apps I have downloaded and syned from the App Store. I cannot "go to OpenVPN". There is only a tile for that app. You can't open it, except in Finder via the context menu. I tried dumping the .ovpn and key files in the folder and synching, thinking it was a long shot. Ding.

"...and drop your .ovpn and related cert/key files into the file sharing window." - What is "the file sharing window"? All I have is the iTunes window showing tiles for all the apps. Neither the OpenVPN tile nor the iTunes window will accept a file drop.

:?: Can anyone please provide precise coherent instructions how to import .ovpn and key files to the OpenVPN app on iPad via synch from iTunes? :?:

Many thanks in advance.

OpenVPN 1.0 build 47 (iOS)

BlindOne
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: How to sync .ovpn file with app via iTunes?

Post by BlindOne » Wed May 01, 2013 8:04 pm

Hi,

Ran into the same problem as you and finally figured it out.

Open iTunes, click on Library, click Device Name (iPhone/iPod/etc), then click Apps in the top bar. Scroll to the bottom of the page to the 'File Sharing' area, click OpenVPN, then click 'Add...'. Select the .ovpn file

Hope this helps!

anipaduser
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by anipaduser » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:44 pm

Can someone send me the ovpn file for iPad? I can't figure out how to even create one, and I need it really bad.

Russell
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Russell » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:21 pm

This has changed slightly in later versions of Apple stuff.

The OpenVPN app should update the instructions on the file import page as I can't find what itunes sync is and I think that's what iCloud became.

What I did to download an .ovpn file. (have the OpenVPN client installed before hand)

Opene iCloud in my browser on a pc. uploaded my .ovpn file there.
On iOS Opened the "Files" app then went to iCloud drive and found my .opvn file.
click the file and hit the share icon and OpenVPN was an option to use.
When I chose OpenVPN it imported the client file.

This was a breeze on Android I just put the OpenVPN client in OneDrive then opened the file from OneDrive on android and it opened in OpenVPN and imported.