OpenVPN AS "Certificate Trust Warning - unable to get local issuer certificate"

This forum is for admins who are looking to build or expand their OpenVPN setup.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
TeleBrady
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN AS "Certificate Trust Warning - unable to get local issuer certificate"

Post by TeleBrady » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:57 pm

Hello,

Posting this here instead of the OpenVPN AS forum as it looks like a better fit (can a mod please delete the other topic?).

My SSL certificate will expire soon, so I was trying to replace it with a free Let's Encrypt one using these instructions.

When I go to upload the new certificate using the web UI and I click "validate", I get a "Certificate Trust Warning - unable to get local issuer certificate" error on screen, but under that the "Certificate/Hostname" shows a match and everything else looks good. From here I revert because I don't want anything to break due to that error, but the current certificate will expire soon anyway.

From what I've read it sounds like I need a separate intermediate certificate(?). Can anyone please tell me what I'm missing or let me know where I need to look to help me figure that out?

OpenVPN Access Server v2.8.5

Pippin
Forum Team

Re: OpenVPN AS "Certificate Trust Warning - unable to get local issuer certificate"

Post by Pippin » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:50 pm

TeleBrady wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:57 pm
Hello,

Posting this here instead of the OpenVPN AS forum as it looks like a better fit (can a mod please delete the other topic?).

For now, your original topic seems to fit fine where it is posted.
I gloomily came to the ironic conclusion that if you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality.
Halton Arp