An option in the GUI to disable "and override" logs!

This is where we can discuss what we would like to see added or changed in OpenVPN.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

ukraine_lover
OpenVpn Newbie

An option in the GUI to disable "and override" logs!

Post by ukraine_lover » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:27 am

Hey!

The process openvpnserv.exe will lunch the openvpn.exe starting the command --log "C:\Users\xxxxx\OpenVPN\log\xxxxxxxxxxx.log".

Although I am using "verb 0" it will create a log file with the errors, and this log file can't be deleted as long as you are connected.

The issue with this log file aside the fact it will slow down the launch of the OpenVPN, it will reveal what server one was connected to in case of a system failure, which can be a security/privacy risk.

It would be nice to add an option in the GUI to disable logs for good without even adding the command "--log" and without creating a log file at all, this option will override the "verb" option in the config file.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: An option in the GUI to disable "and override" logs!

Post by TinCanTech » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:02 am

You can completely disable the log being written to disk:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/313 ... on-windows

ukraine_lover
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by ukraine_lover » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:32 pm

Thanks for the reply!

There is no NUL   access in Windows, at least anymore as it has been tested in Windows 7. I can confirm that NUL doesn't work on Windows 11. The only solution is a RAMDISK!

I already moved the log folder to the RAMDISK, but why creating a log file to the RAMDISK if you can simply and easily not create one? It will even boost the OpenVPN startup time.

Again it would be nice to add an option to remove the --log command and not create a log file at all, it will be optional!

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:49 pm

Maybe, you could ask for a feature here:
https://github.com/OpenVPN/openvpn-gui