Can connect over Wifi, can't connect over cellular because its trying to contact an ipv6 address for some reason

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
dansten
OpenVpn Newbie

Can connect over Wifi, can't connect over cellular because its trying to contact an ipv6 address for some reason

Post by dansten » Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:00 pm

Hoping someone can shed some light over here

when connecting to my home vpn server over wifi, the log says "Contacting [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]:1194/TCP via TCPv4" and it connects fine.

However when i switch over to 5G and try to connect, the log says Contacting [2001:8004:xxxx:xxxx::xxxx:xxxx]:1194/TCP via TCPv4 and times out.

It uses ipv4 address when connecting on a wifi network but seems to try and connect using an ipv6 address when using cellular which is not in my config file and enters a timeout/retry cycle

What am i doing wrong?

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Can connect over Wifi, can't connect over cellular because its trying to contact an ipv6 address for some reason

Post by TinCanTech » Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:54 pm

Try to ping your server IP.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Can connect over Wifi, can't connect over cellular because its trying to contact an ipv6 address for some reason

Post by TinCanTech » Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:43 pm

You could also try --proto udp4

dansten
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by dansten » Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:06 am

I initially started with udp and it failed on both wifi and cellular but it must have been to another config.

I set it to TCP and it worked on wifi so i left it there and figured there would be another config to blame for the ipv6 address switching that was happening between the network sources

I changed it back to udp and it seems to work now :)