Connection no longer working, error message

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
hrazlr
OpenVpn Newbie

Connection no longer working, error message

Post by hrazlr » Sat May 14, 2022 9:11 pm

I am using an embedded OpenVPN server on my internal home router. Set it up 4-5 years ago and has worked well from several different devices. Until now.

Got a new ISP-provided modem/router recently. Configured port forwarding to IP address of internal router, based on what was set up on old ISP modem/router (but with current IP address of internal home router).
Have old ISP modem/router to compare settings, haven't found anything else I missed. At least not yet.

when trying to connect, I get two errors:
"OpenVPN needs a gateway parameter for a --route option and no default was specified by either --route-gateway or --ifconfig options"
"failed to parse/resolve route for host/network: (IP address of internal network gateway).

I never got these errors in the past. Am trying to connect using same hotspot as used in the past for internet access (not same ISP as home network), using same OpenVPN client (2.4.9) on same laptop, to same internal router (with updated firmware), to same home computer.

I generated a new file from the OpenVPN server and created a new config file, but still get same errors.

Attempted to insert route and ifconfig lines in config file one at at a time, based on what I read in online reference manual, but that was a total failure.

OpenVPN does show that it connected, but IP address is blank. When I look at the network connection details of the local area connection (VPN connection) on the laptop, it shows that the laptop has the same IP address and gateway as when the laptop is hard-wired to internal/home router. However, when I log into router, the network map table shows no access time, no Tx, no Rx for the laptop.

Guidance, thoughts, suggestiongs welcome and appreciated!

LR

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Connection no longer working, error message

Post by TinCanTech » Sat May 14, 2022 9:16 pm

Please start here: viewtopic.php?t=22603

* Moved to community *