no access after EULA

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
magusykt
OpenVpn Newbie

no access after EULA

Post by magusykt » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:30 am

Hi!
I've installed openvpn-as on my arm server. After that I've got access for loginpage at https://myserverip:943/admin/ and used the credentials openvpn/mypassword to reach the adminpage. I can see the EULA, but after click agree nothing happens, it redirects back to loginpage.
I tried to reinstall as, force-init, reinstall whole os, but nothing helped.

what I'm doing wrong?

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: no access after EULA

Post by openvpn_inc » Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:14 am

Hello magusykt,

Usually when that happens this is just a symptom of a larger problem occurring under the hood. Check /var/log/openvpnas.log for error messages that could point out what the problem is. Note that only Ubuntu 20.04 LTS is supported for ARM at this time. If you use any other OS, that will not work.

If you need further assistance, contact https://openvpn.net/support

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

rufftradenh
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by rufftradenh » Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:51 am

I've also been struggling with this issue all day. I've tried the following distributions, all with the same results. Once I accept the EULA I'm immediately sent back to the login screen.

Ubuntu Desktop and Server 20.04 LTS
Ubuntu Desktop and Server 18.04 LTS
Debian 10 amd64

I've noticed the following javascript errors in the Firefox developers tool console when the EULA is accessed:

qrcode.js:1 Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token '<'
wufoo.js:1 Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token '<'
saveAs.js:1 Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token '<'
jquery.min.js:1 Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token '<'
popper.min.js:1 Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token '<'
bootstrap.min.js:1 Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token '<'
bootstrap-toggle.min.js:1 Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token '<'
bootstrap-select.min.js:1 Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token '<'
tooltips.js:1 Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token '<'
jquery.dataTables.js:1 Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token '<'
dataTables.bootstrap4.min.js:1 Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token '<'
status_overview:30 Uncaught ReferenceError: $ is not defined
at status_overview:30
(anonymous) @ status_overview:30
status_overview:55 Uncaught ReferenceError: $ is not defined
at status_overview:55

I don't know if this points to the issue, but I've tried various avenues of debugging and this is the only obvious issue.

Kindly,
Eddie

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:31 am

Hello Eddie,

That sounds pretty strange to me. We release and test on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, and Debian 10. Latest version most definitely works on that. I would again like to suggest that /var/log/openvpnas.log is checked and that you contact https://openvpn.net/support to further investigate what's causing the issue. It would help us for example to see log files.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

wgen
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by wgen » Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:52 am

John,

I've also tried setting up on Ubuntu 20, 18, Debian 11, 10 and Red Hat 8 and found the same issue as the OP. You have an issue with your Admin authentication as the TwistedWeb Http service after a successful login is currently redirecting every request to /admin which means assets aren't being loaded and the EULA page not functioning correctly.

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:15 pm

Hello wgen,

I suggest you send log file and configuration information to our support ticket system so that we can find out the actual root cause of the symptom you're seeing.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:09 pm

Hi all,

The one user who opened a support ticket was trying to use Docker container. We do not support that. We do not feel that the added complexity improves your security. Use a virtual appliance if you wish.

Are others in this thread also trying to use Docker or other containers?

regards, rob0
Image OpenVPN Inc.

nullmike
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by nullmike » Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:35 pm

I have this same issue, clean install in Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. I checked /var/log/openvpn-as.log and I see the following error repeatedly:

Code: Select all

"openvpn_4": [
2022-04-19T12:33:20-0600 [stdout#info]       [
2022-04-19T12:33:20-0600 [stdout#info]         "error",
2022-04-19T12:33:20-0600 [stdout#info]         "service failed to start due to unresolved dependencies: {'iptables_openvpn', 'user', 'iptables_live'}"
2022-04-19T12:33:20-0600 [stdout#info]       ]
2022-04-19T12:33:20-0600 [stdout#info]     ],
I followed the instructions on:
https://openvpn.net/vpn-software-packag ... repository

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:42 am

Hello nullmike,

As is usual with this problem of not being able to get past the EULA, it is caused by another problem underwater. In this case there appears to be a problem with iptables or implementing iptables rules. What exactly is the platform that you deployed this on? Is it some kind of docker or other similar, shall we say, "less capable virtualization" solutions? If so that might be the problem. It would be helpful to know what you tried to deploy this on.

For your information, we QA test Access Server on all the platforms we release it for, and it doesn't get released if it doesn't install and operate out of the box on the supported platforms. But some 'virtualization' or 'isolation' solutions to separate applications out from the main host OS can be too limited. If you use KVM, AWS, GCP, ESXi, Fusion, Parallels, HyperV, VirtualBox, etcetera, those are all fine to use. But docker may need additional permissions to run and possibly in OpenVZ as well there might be issues if the TUN adapter is not available.

If we know what platform exactly you're trying to run it on, that might help us to determine if that's possible or not.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.

nullmike
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by nullmike » Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:29 pm

Hi Johan,

I am using Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS. It is a VM running in proxmox. I'm not using docker. I had followed all the instructions for adding packages, I do have iptables installed.

I see lots of these errors during startup in the log

2022-04-29T17:16:12-0600 [stdout#info]     "iptables_live": "off. Error: [Error: service failed to start due to unresolved dependencies: {'iptables_openvpn'}.]",
2022-04-29T17:16:12-0600 [stdout#info]     "iptables_openvpn": "off. Error: [Error: Service deferred error: PortPool: port pool depleted, cannot satisfy request for 'openvpn_74': internet/defer:654,sagent/ipts:159,sagent/iptvpn:178,sagent/vpnconfig:294,sagent/vpnconfig:231,util/portpool:58,internet/process:934,internet/process:946,internet/process:311,internet/_baseprocess:52,internet/process:948,internet/_baseprocess:64,svc/pp:133,svc/svcnotify:42,internet/defer:460,internet/defer:568,internet/defer:654,util/defer:10,internet/defer:460,internet/defer:568,internet/defer:654,internet/defer:1116,internet/defer:460,internet/defer:568,internet/defer:654,svc/svc:675,sagent/ipts:210,sagent/ipts:150,internet/defer:321,internet/defer:311,internet/defer:654,sagent/ipts:159,sagent/iptvpn:178,sagent/vpnconfig:294,sagent/vpnconfig:231,util/portpool:58,util/error:105,util/error:86.]",
2022-04-29T17:16:12-0600 [stdout#info]     "iptables_web": "started",
2022-04-29T17:16:12-0600 [stdout#info]     "log": "started",
2022-04-29T17:16:12-0600 [stdout#info]     "openvpn_0": "off. Error: [Error: service failed to start due to unresolved dependencies: {'iptables_live', 'iptables_openvpn', 'user'}.]",

nullmike
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by nullmike » Sun May 01, 2022 5:13 am

I've tried with a fresh debian 11 install, I see the same errors. I'm baffled as these are fresh VMs and I'm following the instructions on openvpn.net carefully.

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Wed May 04, 2022 12:28 pm

nullmike wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:29 pm
I am using Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS. It is a VM running in proxmox. I'm not using docker. I had followed all the instructions for adding packages, I do have iptables installed.

I see lots of these errors during startup in the log

2022-04-29T17:16:12-0600 [stdout#info]     "iptables_live": "off. Error: [Error: service failed to start due to unresolved dependencies: {'iptables_openvpn'}.]",
2022-04-29T17:16:12-0600 [stdout#info]     "iptables_openvpn": "off. Error: [Error: Service deferred error: PortPool: port pool depleted, cannot satisfy request for 'openvpn_74': internet/defer:654,sagent/ipts:159,sagent/iptvpn:178,sagent/vpnconfig:294,sagent/vpnconfig:231,util/portpool:58,internet/process:934,internet/process:946,internet/process:311,internet/_baseprocess:52,internet/process:948,internet/_baseprocess:64,svc/pp:133,svc/svcnotify:42,internet/defer:460,internet/defer:568,internet/defer:654,util/defer:10,internet/defer:460,internet/defer:568,internet/defer:654,internet/defer:1116,internet/defer:460,internet/defer:568,internet/defer:654,svc/svc:675,sagent/ipts:210,sagent/ipts:150,internet/defer:321,internet/defer:311,internet/defer:654,sagent/ipts:159,sagent/iptvpn:178,sagent/vpnconfig:294,sagent/vpnconfig:231,util/portpool:58,util/error:105,util/error:86.]",
2022-04-29T17:16:12-0600 [stdout#info]     "iptables_web": "started",
2022-04-29T17:16:12-0600 [stdout#info]     "log": "started",
2022-04-29T17:16:12-0600 [stdout#info]     "openvpn_0": "off. Error: [Error: service failed to start due to unresolved dependencies: {'iptables_live', 'iptables_openvpn', 'user'}.]",
Hi again Mike,

"openvpn_74" would be the 75th VPN daemon. There should be exactly one daemon per CPU core per protocol. So a 4-core VM would have 8, numbered 0 through 7. 75 or more daemons might mean that Access Server failed to determine how many CPU cores you have. Please show me what this command says:

sacli GetNCores
Of course that won't work if Access Server fails to start.

How many CPU cores did you allocate to this VM? This could be a bug/issue with proxmox.

regards, rob0
Image OpenVPN Inc.

nullmike
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by nullmike » Fri May 06, 2022 11:40 pm

/usr/local/openvpn_as/scripts/sacli GetNCores
ERROR: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'out/tmp-GBm0daDu9JO0.tmp': util/options:525,sagent/sacli:526,util/file:165,util/file:159,util/file:151,util/simplefile:9 (FileNotFoundError)

I had assigned 40 cores, that's how many cores the server has (20 cores, 40 threads). I do believe this issue is related to hosting in proxmox. I may try reinstalling in a VM with only 4 cores and see what happens, as well as install directly on hardware and see what happens.

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Sat May 07, 2022 3:06 pm

Hi Mike,

Good. Access Server always works best when the number of cores is a power of 2. That's because the VPN network and group address pools are assigned as CIDR netblocks, and they will be divided among the individual daemon processes, each bound to a specific CPU core. With 40 cores you get 80 daemons (one per core pre protocol), and to convert that to a power of 2, your networks will be cut into 128 pieces.

regards, rob0
Image OpenVPN Inc.

rockgeo
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by rockgeo » Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:56 am

I am a new user trying out openvpn on the Oracle cloud, basically following this info:https://blogs.oracle.com/developers/pos ... acle-cloud .

I am also 'looping' after accepting the EULA, I get the admin signon screen, sign in, get the eula screen, sometimes with a 'box' around all the text, sometimes not, hit the accept button, and the admin signon screen is presented again. This happens if I'm using firefox on a linux (ubuntu) laptop, or firefox on an android phone.

I looked in openvpnas.log, no error messages, lots of web out messages but no errors.

I used all/as many of the default options for the define of the oracle vpn instance when creating it as I could.

I have ingress rules built for ports 22,943,443,1194.

I do not believe proxmox or docker are involved.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:49 pm

Hello rockgeo,

Since you don't see anything obviously wrong, and this symptom of not being able to get past EULA means there is still definitely something wrong on a deeper level, you should contact our support department via https://openvpn.net/support/ and do some basic troubleshooting and send a copy of the logs so we can analyze it here too. It's probably something simple but we'll have to take a closer look.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.

rockgeo
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by rockgeo » Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:18 pm

ok, will do, thanks

rockgeo
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by rockgeo » Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:43 pm

soooo, I figured out why I'm having an issue, its because I have Tmobile home internet. I could not get past the EULA acceptance when setting up openvpn in the oracle cloud. I then set it up on an AWS cloud, but still had a problem not getting past EULA acceptance. I went to a neighbors house that does not have tmobile internet, and the EULA acceptance response was processed just fine. However, back at my house, now that I'm on the access server status page, it says the server is on, but if I hit the VPN settings link, I get the signon page again. Looks like I'm out of luck setting up openvpn unless I use someone elses network.... info for anyone else with tmobile....

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Sun Dec 25, 2022 3:53 pm

Hi rockgeo,

Honestly, don't know what to make of that. What kind of magic could they be doing to your Internet connection to break things like this?

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.

rockgeo
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by rockgeo » Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:35 pm

the last on this subject, I can see that the web page, both for the admin signon page, and then if I can get to it the status page, are not rendering correctly, sometimes icons are not loaded, sometimes the userid/password fields are in different locations...

I did discover that if I sign onto a vpn 1st, and then access the openvpn admin signon screen, and get to the status page, the pages are rendering correctly and I will be able to finish my configuration.

as Johnny Carson would say, weird wild stuff