Kill switch option?

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
paulK
OpenVpn Newbie

Kill switch option?

Post by paulK » Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:25 pm

Is there kill switch?

Most VPN clients I have used have a kill switch option but I cannot find any such option in OpenVPN Client.

Why would such a feature be hard to find or missing?

This is a critical function.

V.3.3.6 Windows 7

------------------------

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Kill switch option?

Post by openvpn_inc » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:09 am

Hello paulK,

A true kill switch function is something on the roadmap for OpenVPN Connect. The 'seamless tunnel' function that already exists keep the routes pointing to the VPN tunnel intact even if the VPN tunnel is interrupted and in reconnecting state.

You can mimic a kill switch situation by blackholing Internet traffic except for the IP of the VPN server itself. That way no Internet is possible at all unless it goes through the VPN server.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

edmoncu
OpenVPN User

Post by edmoncu » Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:41 am

Hi Openvpn team,

Curious if this feature is still in the works for openvpn connect. I cannot see it on Windows yet, but i see it available for IOS.

Thank you

Meister
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Meister » Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:22 pm

Hello,

I would also like to know how far the Kill Switch for Windows has progressed. When can we expect it to be introduced?

best regards