XML-RPC to create and remove users and permissions

How to customize and extend your OpenVPN installation.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

msbluvi
OpenVpn Newbie

XML-RPC to create and remove users and permissions

Post by msbluvi » Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:39 pm

Hello, I've been tasked with creating a script that will take a username as input, and generate a strong password and create with that password an ovpn file. I've managed the second part via the Rest Api, but the creation requires XML-RPC to achieve. I've done a bit of research, but could not get a good enough start to reach my goals.

I have experience coding with python or javascript, so I am not afriad to code something for this tool, I just need some directions.
Can anyone point me in the direction of a good guide on how I can achieve my goals with this project? or better yet, if someone made the same thing before, and would like to share some insights that would be great.

Thanks and have a great day!

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: XML-RPC to create and remove users and permissions

Post by openvpn_inc » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:29 pm

Hi msb,

I have not made such a thing, but I am fortunate to work for a company which did. It's called OpenVPN Access Server. :)

AS is not open source, but you might want to play with it and see what it does with generating profiles. It's free (gratis) for use up to 2 concurrent connections.

regards, rob0
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

msbluvi
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: XML-RPC to create and remove users and permissions

Post by msbluvi » Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:01 am

Hey rob0,
sorry for the late reply, I did not get an email about your reply.
We already have a server, we want to modify users from a script and not touch the interface as it was a source of grave errors in the past.
So no one has a sample script for this?