Issue with an automatic gateway assignment

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
aurora_
OpenVpn Newbie

Issue with an automatic gateway assignment

Post by aurora_ » Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:13 pm

Hello,

I've got a routing issue when establishing connection to an OpenVPN server with the OpenVPN client (3.3.1) on MacOS Monterey (12.2.1) laptop.
When connected to VPN, one of the routes gets an automatically assigned gateway which corresponds to my private IP address (192.168.y.x) in the VPN network:
192.168.y 192.168.y.x
As they both belong to the same subnet, seems like it leads to an infinite loop. On Ubuntu the same VPN configuration (passed through with an ovpn file) results in another gateway assignment and works seamless.
I tried to delete this route and to recreate it manually with the gateway 0.0.0.0 or the gateway of the default destination but got an error:
route: writing to routing socket: Network is unreachable
Also, route change command was tried, but although it didn't throw an error, the gateway was not changed.

I wonder if anybody is familiar with this and maybe knows how to approach it.

Many thanks.

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Issue with an automatic gateway assignment

Post by openvpn_inc » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:00 pm

Hi,

This is almost certainly a server configuration issue, not related to the OpenVPN Connect client specifically. What sort of server are you connecting to, OpenVPN Access Server, OpenVPN Cloud, a community version openvpn, or a commercial VPN provider? In any of those cases you are probably going to have to contact your VPN administrator for assistance.

You cannot use the same RFC 1918 network in more than one place. As you have noted this does not work. The good news is that RFC 1918 provides you more than enough network address space that you (or your network administrator) will never need to use overlapping subnets.

I'm not sure how it could be working on Ubuntu, unless it's using the buggy and broken Network Manager as frontend to openvpn. But even so, a route conflict can't work properly.

regards, rob0
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

aurora_
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Issue with an automatic gateway assignment

Post by aurora_ » Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:18 pm

Hi rob0,

Thanks a lot for the reply. It appears to be a server-side issue indeed.
It's now solved.

Best