Cannot install any OpenVPN client > 2.5.3

This forum is for all inquiries relating to the installation of OpenVPN from source and with binaries.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please visit (and READ) the OpenVPN HowTo http://openvpn.net/howto prior to asking any questions in here!
16_bit_abacus
OpenVpn Newbie

Cannot install any OpenVPN client > 2.5.3

Post by 16_bit_abacus » Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:59 pm

Hello,

Long time user of OpenVPN. Starting at end of 2021 we cannot install any version of OpenVPN higher than 2.5.3 on various machines, with one exception. Tried versions 2.5.4, 5.5, and 5.6

Systems here are as follows:

- 3 laptop units, one has Win 7 Pro x64 SP1, one has Win 8.1 Home x64, last one has Win 8.1 Pro x64. Win 7 machine is Intel, Win 8.1 machines are AMD.

- 2 notebook units both with Win 8.1 Home x86 and Intel processors.

- All 5 units are legacy machines.

Problem...

- Only machine out of the 5 that has no problem is the laptop with Win 8.1 Home x64.

- Other 4 get same error which is "OpenVPN ServiceInteractive failed to start". My account is 'Admin' level. If I go to 'services.msc' and look at OpenVPN ServiceInteractive, it is set to Automatic but not started. If I try to start the service, I get 'Error 1053:Service did not respond to Start or Control request in timely fashion'.

- The following install scenarios have been used....
- Install newer version over top of current running version.
- Uninstall current version; install newer version.
- Uninstall current version; uninstall TAP Adapters and WinTun Adapter; install newer version.
- None of the above variations make any difference; cannot install any version > 2.5.3 on affected machines.

- All Win 8.1 machines are at same Windows and .Net maint. level.

- All non-working machines run 'SFC /scannow' with no errors.

- All non-working Win 8.1 machines run 'DISM with any parameters' with no errors.

- I can find no differences in the machines registry (HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\OpenVpnServiceInteractive) and (ControlSet001) and (ControlSet002) from the working machine and the non-working machines.

- I have tried changing the timeout settings in the Registry via 'ServicesPipeTimeout' but that just delays the error from happening.

--- I am out of ideas. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks for your time.