OpenVPN Connect Constantly Tries to Connect to Shared Drive

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
g0zzle
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN Connect Constantly Tries to Connect to Shared Drive

Post by g0zzle » Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:02 pm

OpenVPN Connect v3.3.3
MacOS v12.2.1 (Monterey)

Whenever I start OpenVPN Connect I get repeated popups telling me that a shared drive is not available. I have to repeatedly click "OK" to get these to go away and OpenVPN Connect usually fails to open. A couple of times the app did open, but the popups continued every couple of seconds until I had to force quit.

The shared server is an SMB share which is only available when the VPN is connected, or when I'm on my home network. For some reason OpenVPN Connect seems to keep trying to access it, despite the fact that it should have no knowledge of it, as far as I'm aware.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled OpenVPN Connect multiple times and tried to locate any cache or config which may be persisting, but no luck.

I have restarted my machine to see if that would help, but no luck.

I have removed the shared drive from my list of servers (I think) but no luck.

I'd appreciate any guidance on how to resolve.

Thanks!

g0zzle
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: OpenVPN Connect Constantly Tries to Connect to Shared Drive

Post by g0zzle » Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:19 pm

Seems like I managed to solve this by turning off Network Volumes permissions for OpenVPN Connect (System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Files and Folders) and then restarting.

Still not sure why I was seeing the error, or why OpenVPN Connect had any knowledge of the shared drive, but at least I've got it working :)

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: OpenVPN Connect Constantly Tries to Connect to Shared Drive

Post by openvpn_inc » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:38 am

Hello g0zzle,

No idea either, except for one possibility - perhaps the server is pushing a client connect script that wants to access something on that shared drive? Can't imagine why OpenVPN Connect would want to access a shared drive otherwise. It's also possible that somehow somewhere else in macOS there is some reference to that drive and somehow when OpenVPN Connect is started that gets triggered. In any case glad you found a workaround.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support