Windows Server 2016: Send all internet through VPN fails

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
BobAGI
OpenVPN Power User

Windows Server 2016: Send all internet through VPN fails

Post by BobAGI » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:47 pm

Trying to set up OpenVPN 2.4.4.0 On Windows Server 2016
I have the same problem as is described in this thread:
Windows Server 2012/Windows 10: Send all internet through VPN fails
The solution in the thread points to another thread by BeBop (Windows 7 as OpenVPN server with redirect-gateway) and it outlines the way to set up the routing.
However on WS 2016 the crucial step of connecting the Ethernet interface to the tunnel fails:

Code: Select all

Control Panel
Network and Sharing Center
Local Area Connection
Properties
Sharing
Tick the box "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection"
From the drop-down list select "Local Area Connection 2", or whatever is the connection name
of your TAP server connection.
There is no drop-down list shown anywhere....
So right there the example stops working.
How can this be done on Windows Server 2016?

BobAGI
OpenVPN Power User

Re: Windows Server 2016: Send all internet through VPN fails

Post by BobAGI » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:10 pm

SOLUTION:
I gave up on making Windows Server 2016 work as an OpenVPN server and put a RaspberryPi3 box on the company LAN instead.
This now works just fine as the dual port OpenVPN server I wanted to achieve. One port for LAN-only traffic and the other for LAN+Internet traffic.
It would still be interesting to find out if Windows 2016 can in fact be used as server.

TiTex
OpenVPN Super User

Re: Windows Server 2016: Send all internet through VPN fails

Post by TiTex » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:22 am

that's not the way to configure a windows server, sharing internet connection on the interface, you should have installed routing and remote acces role , select just the routing part to allow packet forwarding