Theoretical setup

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
tbwampler
OpenVpn Newbie

Theoretical setup

Post by tbwampler » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:56 pm

Hello,
I have been able to get OpenVPN to set up a connection between my server (running Windows 2003 server) and a client at home (XP). Now, I need to the client to be able to communicate with other machines on the LAN behind the VPN server. Easy enough, I should just be able to bridge the ethernet LAD and the TAP VPN network. When I make the bridge, however, I am no longer able to access the server through RDP (using remote desktop) from any other machine (not using the VPN). Am I trying to do something impossible by doing this? I'm of course happy to post my configs, but I just wonder if anyone can tell me if I'm trying to do something that just can't be done before I do too much more work, and I haven't seen any discussions about this. Is this something I could do in TUN mode and not TAP mode? Thanks for your help in advance.

george
Forum Team

Re: Theoretical setup

Post by george » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:10 pm

I would use a routed setup rather than a bridged setup.