Playing Games Over OpenVPN

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
Copy-Cat
OpenVpn Newbie

Playing Games Over OpenVPN

Post by Copy-Cat » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:04 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to set-up a VPN for my gaming community.

Soo far Windows XP, and Windows Vista works. I am having issues trying to get Windows 7 Users to work.

Keep in mind we are using LAN to connect in-game.
While in-game, Windows XP can see other XP users, and Windows Vista can see, other Vista users, both Operating Systems can see each other as well, thus XP and Vista users have the ability to host and join games.

Windows 7 can see XP, and Vista users, thus Win7 users have the ability to join games.
Windows XP and Vista users CANNOT see Windows 7 Users, thus Win7 Users does NOT have the ability to Host games.

It seems to be a problem with the way Windows 7 treats the Tun/Tap Adpater. In the Network and Sharing Center, the tun/tap adapter is listed as No Internet Access. But in fact there is traffic in/out; Windows 7 can ping XP and Vista users, and vice-versa.

In addition to expedite every possible solution, I find it very strange that if you run "Windows XP in a Virtual Machine" on Windows 7 the problem is fixed.

Any help, would be greatly appreciated. Please feel free to ask me any questions and I will quickly respond.

gladiatr72
Forum Team

Re: Playing Games Over OpenVPN

Post by gladiatr72 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:13 pm

Hrm. Good question. Have you made sure that the firewall on your win7 tap device is disabled?

-S
[..]I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. [...]Wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? -Marcus Cole

Copy-Cat
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Playing Games Over OpenVPN

Post by Copy-Cat » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:08 am

I managed to get Windows 7 to work. I don't know what effects this setting will do to internet access but it works.

I added to the Local Area Connection (internet) a Metric of 100 and it worked.

I went ahead and installed Windows 7 on one of my machines to further test compatability with openVPN and other games hosted on our Gaming Community.