Access policies on Windows host

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
Cyrus XIII
OpenVpn Newbie

Access policies on Windows host

Post by Cyrus XIII » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:39 am

I am currently hosting a bridged VPN on a Windows machine and I'd like to prevent VPN clients from accessing certain resources on the local network. The OpenVPN Howto only explains how to do this on Linux via iptables. [1] Is there any way to implement access policies on a Windows host, preferably without having to install additional software?

[1] http://openvpn.net/index.php/open-sourc ... tml#policy

gladiatr72
Forum Team

Re: Access policies on Windows host

Post by gladiatr72 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:18 pm

Unless there is a super secret mode for the Windows firewall that gives you access to some kind of application layer filtering, I would have to say no. For any sort of access control, you would need to configure firewall settings on a host-by-host basis to block access from some or all of the IPs that are set aside for your roaming clients.

An easier way, from the firewall standpoint, would be to reconfigure your vpn for point-to-point (or routed) mode. This would put your vpn clients on their own subnet and could then be filtered on your vpn server and allow you to install filtering rules preventing access to certain hosts and/or ports on your office net.

-Stephen
[..]I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. [...]Wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? -Marcus Cole