Server without tun/tap interface - only client2client?

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
Fireball
OpenVpn Newbie

Server without tun/tap interface - only client2client?

Post by Fireball » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:12 am

I currently have an OpenVPN VPN server running successfully.

The server currently runs on a home DSL line and need more bandwidth and thus would like to move the VPN server to a virtual private server I rented, which has enough bandwidth.

The vserver's host is running OpenVZ, which should allow tun/tap inside a vserver, but currently I cannot create a tap device using both tunctl and openvpn --mktun:
# openvpn --mktun --dev tap0
Tue Oct 26 17:47:43 2010 Note: Cannot open TUN/TAP dev /dev/net/tun: Permission denied (errno=13)
Tue Oct 26 17:47:43 2010 Note: Attempting fallback to kernel 2.2 TUN/TAP interface
Tue Oct 26 17:47:43 2010 Cannot open TUN/TAP dev /dev/tap0: No such file or directory (errno=2)
Tue Oct 26 17:47:43 2010 Exiting
# tunctl -t tap0
Failed to open '/dev/net/tun' : Permission denied
Before I approach the vserver hosting company, which are generally a bit stubborn to change their configs, I would like to ask you OpenVPN experts this:

There is no communication between the clients and the server or the server's network. Only the connected clients communicate with each other in this "VPN bubble".

Is it possible to run OpenVPN "with --server and yet set --dev null" so to speak, so that all traffic is only flowing inside OpenVPN, thereby eliminating the tun/tap device dependency/requirement?

The current server startup script, if needed:
openvpn \
--dev tap0 \
--server 192.168.2.0 255.255.255.0 \
--tls-server \
--dh dh-4096-g5.pem \
--ca /usr/lib/ssl/misc/demoCA/cacert.pem \
--cert /usr/lib/ssl/misc/demoCA/certs/home.pem \
--key /usr/lib/ssl/misc/demoCA/private/home.pem \
--ifconfig-pool-persist /var/local/openvpn-ifconfig-pool-persist \
--keepalive 30 120 \
--reneg-sec 0 \
--float \
--comp-lzo \
--cipher AES-256-CBC \
--verb 1 \
--client-to-client \
--client-cert-not-required \
--username-as-common-name \
--auth-user-pass-verify /usr/lib/ssl/misc/demoCA/auth-viafile.pl via-file \
--script-security 2

Thanks in advance,
Fireball

krzee
Forum Team

Re: Server without tun/tap interface - only client2client?

Post by krzee » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:01 am

no, not possible.
the server must have a device to to send and receive the unencrypted traffic on, this is tun/tap

Are you sure the tuntap module is loaded? if so you need to tell your VPS company that you bought the VPS to be an openvpn server, so you need to have a tun device...
From the page you linked it seems that they need to do something for you... and i bet this is a semi-normal request

jacob019
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Server without tun/tap interface - only client2client?

Post by jacob019 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:21 pm

Actually it's possible if you use UML and slirp.