creating openvpn with ubuntu server and windows clinet

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
zina83
OpenVpn Newbie

creating openvpn with ubuntu server and windows clinet

Post by zina83 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:50 pm

I need urgent help i want to build an openvpn between my ubuntu 8.10 server and my lab lan all clients are windows except a one fedora 12?
if i had remote-client that is far away can this client access my vpn via internet?
can any one help me

george
Forum Team

Re: creating openvpn with ubuntu server and windows clinet

Post by george » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:44 am

Yes, remote clients can access your VPN server if you have the proper firewall rules in place, and providing that you have a static external IP, or if you have dynamic DNS configured, as descibed here:

http://openvpn.net/index.php/open-sourc ... ml#dynamic

zina83
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by zina83 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:50 am

thanks for replying
can i use LogMeIn to get public ip in order to be able to access openvpn ubuntu server??
i do not want to edit my iptables rule because i have squid proxy installed in ubuntu server
can you tell me how to deal with it and configure it?

thanks

george
Forum Team

Post by george » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:56 am

I am unsure why logmein would come into play.... If you follow the instructions in the link I posted, you should be able to get openvpn working with dynamic DNS.

I only mentioned IP tables because it is used in alot of OpenVPN routed set ups. If you are not currently using it, (or have it configured already), then you can disregard.

krzee
Forum Team

Post by krzee » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:47 am

as long as you use the community version of openvpn (open source) it does not matter which OS you use (linux,windows,osx,solaris,bsd,android,iphone...)
your server will either need to be on a public IP with firewall allowing connections to its port, or will need the service port NAT'ed to the server machine... basically the same as running any other daemon

zina83
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by zina83 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:59 am

thanks for your reply
i have a private network and i downloaded and configured openvpn, but it doesn't work with private network openvpn server should get a public IP. but if i do not have a one how can i access the server? then clients inside the network how can they access the server??
does dyndns alter my ip tables rules?

krzee
Forum Team

Post by krzee » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:31 pm

you just need to forward a port from your router to the server, so that clients can access the openvpn service on the server.
Once the client is connected to the server, and they can ping eachothers VPN ip, then you can share the lan on the servers side by doing this:
on server config:
push "route <lan_network> <netmask>"

then the server's router needs a route to the vpn subnet:
you tell that router that the gateway to vpn_subnet is lan_ip_of_openvpn_server