Trouble setting up "magic" internal domains with OpenVPN

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
lightbulblighter
OpenVpn Newbie

Trouble setting up "magic" internal domains with OpenVPN

Post by lightbulblighter » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:40 am

Hi all,

I'm a novice at OpenVPN. This is my first time interacting with it. So far I've set up my OpenVPN server and OpenVPN client, and everything works :D
However, the part I'm struggling on is using OpenVPN to meet the following goals;
  • I have "magic" domains - "git.internal.example.com", "web.internal.example.com", etc. The thing is, "example.com" is a very real website that you can visit without a VPN connection. I want the git.internal and web.internal websites only available once you are connected to the OpenVPN server; as though it magically appears.
  • No traffic should go through the OpenVPN server unless it is on these domains.
  • I need this to work on iOS, Android, and Windows clients. I can forgo iOS and Android if it is deemed impossible, but I would really like this to work on Windows as that is the operating system of choice for all of our developers.
Any help would be much appreciated. I've been struggling with this for the past week. I don't have much experience with low level networking, so please be patient with me-- but I am a quick learner ;)

Thanks everyone!!