Second connection on server

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
scargill
OpenVpn Newbie

Second connection on server

Post by scargill » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:53 pm

Forgive me if this is a well-covered subject already, guys.

I have a Synology NAS in one counrty and I am in another country... (the NAS reference is incidental). I use OpenVPN on the Synology so I can access various items (RaspBerry Pi via SSH and more) and it works a TREAT. But this seek my Internet provider where the server is, let me down and turned off the connection through incompetence.. It's back up now but has been off for a week. My router there (Gl-Inet) is able to handle a second connection via a second modem - so I have a 4g connection in waiting.

When the connection went down, my 4G connection kicked in (don't worry about dynamic addresses here). I know the backup worked as I have one more means of access. But my OpenVPN would not connect to my clients in the second country - even though I changed the target IP address in the .ovpn client files to the new connection address.

Now that the service provider has restored the connection, all is well but I'd like to be prepared for the next time.

Is the Community OpenVPN server software aware of what it's public address is supposed to be? And if so can anything be done about that?

Any help for a VPN-newbie would be appreciated.

Pete

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Second connection on server

Post by TinCanTech » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:21 pm

scargill wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:53 pm
Is the Community OpenVPN server software aware of what it's public address is supposed to be?
No.

Howto