systemctl will not start additional openvpn server

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
nhenderson@ceml.net
OpenVpn Newbie

systemctl will not start additional openvpn server

Post by nhenderson@ceml.net » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:08 pm

Hi, I have 7 openvpn servers running on different port numbers and two IP's. I have copied the config for one of those (called voyage.conf) and altered the necessary filenames for keys, log file status file etc. and generated a new server certificate and key and ta key. The additional version is cem9909.conf.

I am certain that the new port number 5001 is not used in any other configuration nor does it show up with

Code: Select all

# lsof -nP |grep 5001

It starts just fine if I run it on the command line using the same parameters shown in the ps output for voyage:

# openvpn --daemon cem9909 --status /run/openvpn/cem9909.status 10 --cd /etc/openvpn --script-security 2 --config /etc/openvpn/cem9909.conf

The process detaches normally and keeps running.
However (with that process NOT running) if I try:

# systemctl start openvpn@cem9909

It fails.

# journalctl -xe
shows:

Oct 25 20:08:57 VM-CEML systemd[1]: systemd-networkd.socket: Socket service systemd-networkd.service already active, refusing.
Oct 25 20:08:57 VM-CEML systemd[1]: Failed to listen on Network Service Netlink Socket.
-- Subject: Unit systemd-networkd.socket has failed
-- Defined-By: systemd
-- Support: http://www.ubuntu.com/support
--
-- Unit systemd-networkd.socket has failed.
--
-- The result is RESULT.
Oct 25 20:08:57 VM-CEML systemd[1]: Dependency failed for OpenVPN connection to cem9909.
-- Subject: Unit openvpn@cem9909.service has failed
-- Defined-By: systemd
-- Support: http://www.ubuntu.com/support
--
-- Unit openvpn@cem9909.service has failed.
--
-- The result is RESULT.
Oct 25 20:08:57 VM-CEML systemd[1]: openvpn@cem9909.service: Job openvpn@cem9909.service/start failed with result 'dependency'.

Once again, I am certain that there is no overlap of the same IP and the same port for different tunnels, which is proven because I can start the daemon from the command line, just not using systemctl. And for the same reason, and because of being based on a working config, I don't think there is a configuration error.

Ownership and permissions of all files for both the working and non-working version are the same: all root.root, 600 for keys and 644 for certs and the configs. Both working and non-working version contain user nobody and group nobody.

Any ideas welcome!

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: systemctl will not start additional openvpn server

Post by TinCanTech » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:23 pm

Check your openvpn log file.

nhenderson@ceml.net
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: systemctl will not start additional openvpn server

Post by nhenderson@ceml.net » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:51 pm

Hi, nothing was logged in the OpenVPN log file, I don't think systemctl even tried to run openvpn.exe. HOWEVER: after I rebooted the (Ubuntu 18.04) server, I was able to start all tunnels. Makes me nostalgic for Windows... I should perhaps have tried # systemctl daemon-reload - That's just a guess though.