Weird error

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
harkon
OpenVpn Newbie

Weird error

Post by harkon » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:27 pm

I all, new here.

Something odd is happening, and I'm hoping someone here can shed some light.

Just installed OpenVPN for Windows and my .ovpn file looks like this;

Code: Select all

client
dev tun
proto udp
remote 174.90.226.172 1194
resolv-retry infinite
#
nobind
persist-key
persist-tun
ca ca.crt
cert laptop1.crt
key laptop1.key
verb 3
This works

This was distilled down from the sample .ovpn. I have another .ovpn file that looks almost identical but just changing the remote IP address and certificate.key gets me an error. So I started with the sample config and everything worked. I distilled this down to what you see above, but if I delete the "#" after "resolv-retry infinite" I get the following Exit Code=1 error.

Code: Select all

Options error: Unrecognized option or missing or extra parameter(s) in DA50_test.ovpn:5: resolv-retry (2.5..4)
Use --help for more information.
This makes absolutely no sense to me. I'm hoping someone here might be able to see what I'm missing.

TIA

harkon
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Weird error

Post by harkon » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:18 pm

This is the oddest thing, but there was obviously some extra unknown characters in there. I opened the config file in a different text editor and now it works as expected. I should have examined with a HexEditor to see if there was something unrecognized in there. Obviously Notepad is not the best solution here.