Ensuring Client Connects To Same IP On Start

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
shawntanderson
OpenVpn Newbie

Ensuring Client Connects To Same IP On Start

Post by shawntanderson » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:35 pm

I'm new to the openVPN community, so forgive me if my questions is redundant. I have a VPN server setup on a pfSense router and need to share a few directories from one Windows 10 client box to others that connect to the VPN remotely. They are running a software that needs to pull certain configuration files from these directories, so I need to make sure that the client which serves these directories always connects to the same IP on the VPN, how do I accomplish that? I thought that as long as the client machine was on the VPN I could map those directories using the typical //ComputerName/Directory method, but I realize now I have to use the IP Address instead of computer name, so that is why I need to make sure it always stays the same.

Thanks in advance!

Pippin
Forum Team

Re: Ensuring Client Connects To Same IP On Start

Post by Pippin » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:07 pm

This question is better asked on pfsense forum:
https://forum.netgate.com/
I gloomily came to the ironic conclusion that if you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality.
Halton Arp

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Ensuring Client Connects To Same IP On Start

Post by TinCanTech » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:49 am

Searching the manual for "fixed IP" solved this for me :mrgreen:

Fun .. now the manual comes in sections ..