Connecting to management interface failed

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
ltwally
OpenVpn Newbie

Connecting to management interface failed

Post by ltwally » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:58 pm

We have a new router with an OpenVPN server.

I installed the OpenVPN Client version 2.5.3-I601-amd64 on a new virtual machine. I created several logins, and created config files for the OpenVPN client on the VM. They all tested working terrific.

We gave the config files to our people along with the installer, so that they would have the same version.

Every single one of them is receiving the error: "Connecting to management interface failed."

I checked the error log, and found this:

Code: Select all

2021-09-16 15:40:42 us=34341 DEPRECATED OPTION: --cipher set to 'AES-256-CBC' but missing in --data-ciphers (AES-256-GCM:AES-128-GCM). Future OpenVPN version will ignore --cipher for cipher negotiations. Add 'AES-256-CBC' to --data-ciphers or change --cipher 'AES-256-CBC' to --data-ciphers-fallback 'AES-256-CBC' to silence this warning.
Options error: --ca fails with 'ca.crt': No such file or directory (errno=2)
Options error: --cert fails with 'client.crt': No such file or directory (errno=2)
2021-09-16 15:40:42 us=35339 WARNING: cannot stat file 'client.key': No such file or directory (errno=2)
Options error: --key fails with 'client.key': No such file or directory (errno=2)
Options error: Please correct these errors.
Use --help for more information.
All files are stored in c:\program files\openvpn\config. We even tested setting the ownership and permissions to Everyone, to make sure the client could see them.

The config file is:

Code: Select all

client
dev tun
proto tcp-client
remote [redacted]
port 1194
nobind
persist-key
persist-tun
tls-client
remote-cert-tls server
ca ca.crt
cert client.crt
key client.key
verb 4
mute 10
cipher AES-256-CBC
auth SHA1
auth-user-pass secret
auth-nocache
route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0

Can anyone help shed some light?

ltwally
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Connecting to management interface failed

Post by ltwally » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:47 am

Tracked it down. Remoted on to user's PC's and found the certs in the wrong folder. Not sure how they managed that.