Manually adding route to other clients network

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
Thiesius
OpenVpn Newbie

Manually adding route to other clients network

Post by Thiesius » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:58 pm

Hey,

I have been wondering if it's possible to add route to clients network manually.

Let me explain. I have the following topology:

I have a server (client-to-client, even though the picture might show otherwise) with N clients called RUT_1 ... RUN_N connected. Each of them have same local network 192.168.1.0/24. Then there is special type of client - let's call him management. From this client I would like to be able to connect to the machine 192.168.1.100 behind RUT1. I can't push the networks in config directly for obvious collision reasons. However I have been hoping I could manually add some route when running management client to expose the network of this particular client.

The goal is to be able to selectively access the networks of each RUT_X clients from the management client.

Thank you for your insights and help in advance.

Pippin
Forum Team

Re: Manually adding route to other clients network

Post by Pippin » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:24 pm

Thiesius wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:58 pm
Each of them have same local network 192.168.1.0/24.
I can't push the networks in config directly for obvious collision reasons.
"obvious collision reasons" :)

See here:
https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/w ... gConflicts
I gloomily came to the ironic conclusion that if you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality.
Halton Arp

Thiesius
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Manually adding route to other clients network

Post by Thiesius » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:16 am

I understand that if every RUT_X would always push their network there would be collision between RUT_X networks. However Management, and RUT_1 have distinct networks (therefore no collisions). As I said - I want to be able to "mount" the network of RUT_X manually from the management client - always one at the time.