Is it possible to set up openvpn server as transparent proxy sever?

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
tvrc
OpenVpn Newbie

Is it possible to set up openvpn server as transparent proxy sever?

Post by tvrc » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:13 pm

Hi everyone:
I need set up a vpn server. For some reasons, I hope that the client's IP will not be replaced with the server's IP when accessing the website through the VPN server. For example, the client's IP is 1.1.1.1 and the VPN server's IP is 2.2.2.2. When I visit google, google shows that the IP is 1.1.1.1 instead of the server's IP 2.2.2.2. Is it possible to do this using openvpn?
Hope to get your help. Thanks.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Is it possible to set up openvpn server as transparent proxy sever?

Post by TinCanTech » Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:53 pm

tvrc wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:13 pm
For example, the client's IP is 1.1.1.1 and the VPN server's IP is 2.2.2.2. When I visit google, google shows that the IP is 1.1.1.1 instead of the server's IP 2.2.2.2. Is it possible to do this using openvpn?
No.

Unless somebody cares to prove me wrong ..

tvrc
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by tvrc » Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:28 am

TinCanTech wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:53 pm
tvrc wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:13 pm
For example, the client's IP is 1.1.1.1 and the VPN server's IP is 2.2.2.2. When I visit google, google shows that the IP is 1.1.1.1 instead of the server's IP 2.2.2.2. Is it possible to do this using openvpn?
No.

Unless somebody cares to prove me wrong ..
Thank you for your reply. Do you know if there are other software that can do this?

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:25 pm

I think you would need a magic lantern with a genie in it.

Nomyo
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Nomyo » Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:11 pm

Hi, I've just register so I can answer you even if it's been 2 years. :(

Yes I believe it is possible, you need to spoof the ip to make the other server believe it's talking directly to the client.
You need to have a front router that would reroute any client packet to your transparent proxy which would then pass it to the final client. Then the final client talks to the proxy which then send a packet with the final client ip in it as if it didn't existed at all.

It's a "hacky" solution so probably not a very good one but anything is possible.

P.S.: I've been thinking...what's your use case? I mean, vpn first use is to change the ip and hide the client's infos, I don't see a use case apart from doing interception either for scanning and protection or to spy on users. Be careful with the laws of your country.