Hmac Address not found

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
Pippin
Forum Team

Re: Hmac Address not found

Post by Pippin » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:02 pm

Regarding line endings, try Notepad++ for Windows.
It can covert the line endings iirc.
I gloomily came to the ironic conclusion that if you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality.
Halton Arp

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:13 pm

Mythic1049 wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:51 pm
I don't understand what makes you think I'm not using Easy-TLS
Let me re-state what I mean. You are not using Easy-TLS correctly ..

When Easy-TLS creates an inline file the TLS-AUTH key is the last inline section. However, in your files the TLS-AUTH key is the first inline section, so you have edited the file in an unexpected way. In doing so, you have made some error.

You don't need to edit the inline file at all, instead you can reference it like so:

Code: Select all

# THIS IS AN EXAMPLE, IT IS NOT LIVE CODE.
server 10.8.0.0 255.255.255.0

config "C:\\Program Files\\OpenVPN\\easy-rsa\\pki\\easytls\\RoyerServer1.inline"
You can do the same in your client config but you must ensure that the inline file is the correct one and it remains intact as you transfer it. I don't have a MAC to test this on, so you'll have to figure that out for yourself.

And finally, do not address the key file directly with:

tls-auth ta.key 1
or any other way because this will conflict with the inline file.

Mythic1049
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Mythic1049 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:48 pm

TinCanTech wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:13 pm
Mythic1049 wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:51 pm
I don't understand what makes you think I'm not using Easy-TLS
Let me re-state what I mean. You are not using Easy-TLS correctly ..

When Easy-TLS creates an inline file the TLS-AUTH key is the last inline section. However, in your files the TLS-AUTH key is the first inline section, so you have edited the file in an unexpected way. In doing so, you have made some error.

You don't need to edit the inline file at all, instead you can reference it like so:

# THIS IS AN EXAMPLE, IT IS NOT LIVE CODE.
server 10.8.0.0 255.255.255.0

config "C:\\Program Files\\OpenVPN\\easy-rsa\\pki\\easytls\\RoyerServer1.inline"
You can do the same in your client config but you must ensure that the inline file is the correct one and it remains intact as you transfer it. I don't have a MAC to test this on, so you'll have to figure that out for yourself.

And finally, do not address the key file directly with:

tls-auth ta.key 1
or any other way because this will conflict with the inline file.
Well, the solution turns out to be a whole lot simpler. I got too frustrated and was over thinking the process, and most importantly the VERY basic steps. Turns out the port I was using was already in use by an old openvpn I built 3 years ago. My new current client was failing to authorize on a 3 year old server. So no wonder I couldn't find out why the tls-auth wasn't working even though my side was correct. I appreciate your help and I'm sorry I turned a small fix into a headache. Definitely educated myself on this new process as well. Thank you again.

Hopefully this whole thread, can help out someone new to openvpn and it's inline files.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:58 pm

Mythic1049 wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:48 pm
the solution turns out to be a whole lot simpler
:mrgreen:
Mythic1049 wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:48 pm
I appreciate your help and I'm sorry I turned a small fix into a headache
No problem.

And thanks for trying out Easy-TLS, I hope it helps you in future.