IPv6 with public addresses

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.
Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
Twilight
OpenVpn Newbie

IPv6 with public addresses

Post by Twilight » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:35 pm

Hello everyone,
My ISP is about to implement IPv6 soon and I'd like to provide that service.
Currently I have two routers using a routed PTP tunnel between two sites. Since the ISP only gives a single public IPv4 address per site I use a private segment for each site and the routers are configured to route data between the two segments without NAT. That works well.
When IPv6 is implemented I'll probably have a /56 segment per site (for simplicity let's assume the ranges are static). The routers will be have a firewall service running that blocks most if not all incoming connections from the Internet (for obvious security reasons). I'd like to create an IPv6 tunnel between the sites as well, however I would prefer not to use a private IPv6 segment. Instead I'd want to use the public IPv6 ranges provided by the ISP but have the routers tunnel the traffic between these two segments so any such traffic will go through the tunnel (instead of the public Internet), and I'll configure the firewall not to block connections coming from the tunnel interface.
I'd like to know if this configuration is supported by OpenVPN.

Thanks.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: IPv6 with public addresses

Post by TinCanTech » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:16 pm