Using tp-link router as vpn server: can connect to router but not other network devices

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
mdx
OpenVpn Newbie

Using tp-link router as vpn server: can connect to router but not other network devices

Post by mdx » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:08 am

I seem to be having essentially the same issue as the original poster in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=27686
That poster seemed to figure it out, but unfortunately didn't specify how...

Anyway, I have a tp-link Archer A20 router and I want to use its OpenVPN server functionality. I've configured the server like so (these are the only options provided):
It unfortunately doesn't let me see/edit the raw server config as far as I can tell.

This is the client config it spits out (minus the certs and key):
Client Config

client
dev tun
proto tcp
float
nobind
cipher AES-128-CBC
comp-lzo adaptive
resolv-retry infinite
remote-cert-tls server
persist-key
persist-tun
remote [my ddns domain name] 38000

When I set up OpenVPN with the config on my client machine and connect, I am able to successfully connect (client gets the ip 192.168.10.6). I can access the router at 192.168.0.1 just as I can if I'm actually on my LAN.

I can't however, access anything else on my LAN. Trying to ping other machines on my network or access file shares on those machines does not work.

Is there something else I need to do to be able to connect to the rest of the machines on the network? Or am I pretty much out of luck if I can't do anything to change the server-side config further? Should I just ditch the idea of using this built-in vpn server?

Any help is much appreciated!

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Using tp-link router as vpn server: can connect to router but not other network devices

Post by TinCanTech » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:40 am

I don't know how to configure your router, you need the router manual for that.

However,
mdx wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:08 am
I can access the router at 192.168.0.1
Never use common subnets for your server LAN, use something more unique, like 192 168.147.0/24

spooky3do
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Using tp-link router as vpn server: can connect to router but not other network devices

Post by spooky3do » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:40 am

Hi Mdx,

not sure if you meanwhile solved your problem or moved on to another router. But i have exactly the same issue with a TP Link Router and don't understand why it is behaving this way.

If you solved this please let me know how :)

Kind Regards

David