Connecting remotely with OpenVPN to server running OpenVPN client

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.
Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
alejan9
OpenVpn Newbie

Connecting remotely with OpenVPN to server running OpenVPN client

Post by alejan9 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:03 pm

Hi, I have spent a few days trying to figure this out so your help is much appreciated.

I have a successful OpneVPN connection between my remote devices to my home network. I am using built-in OpenVPN server on my ASUS router. When I am connected remotely, I can access every device on my network just fine but if a device on my network is connected to a VPN (OpenVPN Client), I lose all access to that device. This applies to SSH access and web interfaces for services, etc.

My workaround is to ssh into another server on the network (not running OpenVPN), use that machine to ssh into the device running OpenVPN and shutdown OpenVPN.

In summary, any device on my home network can connect to any other device on my home netwotk, with or without a VPN client running. When I am away, I can connect to the home network through the ASUS OpenVPN server and connect to any device as long as that device isn't connected to VPN as a client. Once a device connects to a VPN as a OpenVPN client, I lose remote connection to that device.

How can I get my remote devices to act like they are physically at home while on OpenVPN connection?

Thanks again.

Pippin
OpenVPN Expert

Re: Connecting remotely with OpenVPN to server running OpenVPN client

Post by Pippin » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:16 pm

alejan9 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:03 pm
but if a device on my network is connected to a VPN (OpenVPN Client), I lose all access to that device.
Define "connected to a VPN (OpenVPN Client)" ...

And see:
viewtopic.php?t=22603

alejan9
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Connecting remotely with OpenVPN to server running OpenVPN client

Post by alejan9 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:47 am

Apologies. I am relatively new to OpneVPN so I wasn't sure how to present this question and I don't exactly have a configuration file for my router and I don't know what version of OpenVPN it is running.

I am using the free community OpenVPN version, on my home server, I am running OpenVPN 2.4.0.

I can successfully create a tunnel from my remote computers to my home network ASUS router to access my home network while away. From here, I can access my web interfaces and ssh into any of my computers.

Also, while I am at home, I can successfully create an OpenVPN tunnel from my Ubuntu Server to my VPN provider (Private Internet Access). While I am on my home network, I can use access web interfaces and I can SSH into local machines.

The trouble comes when I am away from home and I create a tunnel from my remote device to the router AND create a tunnel from my server at home to the VPN provider. When I do this, I lose all remote access to that particular device while it is connected to the VPN provider.

I hope this makes more sense. Thanks again.