How to push a local DNS resolving entry to client when an OpenVPN connection established?

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
evilroach
OpenVpn Newbie

How to push a local DNS resolving entry to client when an OpenVPN connection established?

Post by evilroach » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:59 am

I am using OpenVPN-2.4.6 on a Kubuntu-18.10 Laptop for connecting an OpenVPN-2.4.5 server that resides an OpenWRT(18.06.01) router.

The OVPN client connects to the server by a public DNS name of the server(i.e pubName.my.router), instead of an ip since the ip of the server is dynamic.

Can I(and how to) add a local entry of the server(i.e privateName.in.vpn) to the resolver of the client?

Because OpenVPN would resolve and cache the ip of the pubName.my.router before it starts connecting, I believe that the local entry added later will not disturb the traffic of OVPN self.

Basically, I think I have three questions:
  • I'm prefer to do in a manner come with OVPN, if any(But I didn't found).
  • If it can not be done with OVPN, how to add such an entry into my local resolver?
  • What is the kind of the resolver of my Kubuntu box by default(So I can search more documents)?
Any suggestions or hints will be appreciated! Pls mercy a Chinese writing such an ugly English post, I wish I have expressed things right. Thank you anyway!