[oconf] BB - Setting up OpenVPN server to connect to a Windows Domain

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
pcmd
OpenVpn Newbie

[oconf] BB - Setting up OpenVPN server to connect to a Windows Domain

Post by pcmd » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:02 am

I'm trying to setup OpenVPN server for the first time and I have a few questions about routing once the connection is established. I am able to successfully connect to my OpenVPN server from remote locations, But I am unable to access the windows network it resides on once I'm connected.

Lan setup:
I am connecting to a remote office running a windows domain, and the gateway device is an Edgewater Edgemarc 4750
LAN: 10.1.10.0
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway 10.1.10.1
Local DNS, DHCP, and DC: 10.1.10.5

When OpenVPN Clients connect they are given an IP of 10.1.11.0 ( I figured out how to change this from the default of 10.1.8.0)
It is my understanding that I need to add route lines to the server conf file. I just don't understand how to do this and how it will work. I can post my conf file if needed, and I will obviously keep messing with this as I know I am close. I also noticed that when I connect my default gateway is blank when running ipconfig. could someone explain why that is?

I just need users to connect and have their mapped drives work as if their laptops were on site.
The laptops are members of the domain.

Thank in advance. I'm a noob to OpenVPN, but have lots of networking experience.
Last edited by pcmd on Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

pcmd
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: 0conf - Setting up OpenVPN server to connect to a Windows Domain

Post by pcmd » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:04 am

I should also mention that the OPenVPN server is 10.1.10.6.
The gateway device is set to forward to that IP and the connection works fine. Need help with the routing over dif subnets.

pcmd
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: [oconf] BB - Setting up OpenVPN server to connect to a Windows Domain

Post by pcmd » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:11 pm

I was able to input the route today and got access to the network. Howeer DNS is not working. I can only use IP addresses to access resources. Any ideas?

sero
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: [oconf] BB - Setting up OpenVPN server to connect to a Windows Domain

Post by sero » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:00 pm

If you correctly pushed the DNS-Settings to the clients via serverconfig, try adressing your resources via Name.Domainname (e.g. PC-111.home or SV-01.local) with the domainname you set.