Passing traffic between 2 NICs on OpenVPN Server

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
cabled
OpenVpn Newbie

Passing traffic between 2 NICs on OpenVPN Server

Post by cabled » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:39 am

Hi gents,

First time posting here so apologies if I leave out any information that is normally included. I'm wondering if the following configuration is possible:

1) OpenVPN server has 2 NICs, eth0 is internal LAN (192.168.x.x) facing and eth1 is internet facing
2) OpenVPN client connects from eth1 and traffic is passed through to eth0 (i.e. client appears connected to the internal LAN and can reach/be reached by all services on the internal LAN)
3) Normal non-VPN tomcat/ftp/smtp/etc traffic on eth1 continues uninterrupted

For step 2 to work, my initial thoughts are the following:
4) A route would have to be configured on the client machine to direct all traffic destined for the internal LAN to the OpenVPN TAP Adaptor.
5) At the OpenVPN Server, somehow only OpenVPN Client traffic is passed between eth1 and eth0.
6) All the units on the internal LAN should also have the OpenVPN server eth0 address as the gateway address.

Step 5 is the portion that I'm unsure of. Is there a recommended method of achieving this? If anyone is able to point to an existing tutorial or similar I would be most grateful.