[Solved] Access Remote OpenVPN Server LAN from Different VPN on Client Network

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
wingsfan87
OpenVpn Newbie

[Solved] Access Remote OpenVPN Server LAN from Different VPN on Client Network

Post by wingsfan87 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:11 pm

Background: Remote OpenVPN server (Site A) is installed on Asus AC3100 router running AsuswrtMerlin latest firmware. My local site (Site B) is the client side. I have a linux vm setup as a OpenVPN gateway client for my local LAN to connect to the remote OpenVPN server. I can connect fine to the remote openvpn server LAN no issues while I'm directly on my local LAN subnet.

Problem: I have a separate IPSEC VPN (different subnet than site B) to get to my local LAN. I cannot access Site A (OpenVPN server) LAN while connected to IPSEC VPN on for Site B (local client) Site B.

Troubleshooting: I have static routes set on site B router to forward to OpenVPN client gateway for remote OpenVPN Server (Site A) subnet. Do a tracert from the VPN connection and it goes to the Gateway client but doesn't return it stops there. Do a tracert from the Site B LAN device on the LAN and it returns Site A router IP just fine.

The issue it seems SIte A OpenVPN server installed on the Asus router doens't know how to return traffic back to Site B for the VPN connection device on Site B.

Setup:
Site A LAN: 192.168.50.X
Site A OpenVPN LAN: 10.8.50.0

Site B LAN: 192.168.60.X
Site B IPSEC VPN LAN: 10.10.60.0

Config on openvpn router has

iroute 192.168.60.0
route 192.168.60.0 255.255.255.0 vpn_gateway
route 10.10.60.0 255.255.255.0 vpn_gateway

What am I missing or how do I solve? How can I get the OpenVPN server to return traffic to the other client that is on a different VPN on site B?
Last edited by wingsfan87 on Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

wingsfan87
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Access Remote OpenVPN Server LAN from Different VPN on Client Network

Post by wingsfan87 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:03 am

Never mind I solved it. added additional iroute to the second IP in the same client config directory and also added additional route line to the server custom config file. Works perfectly.