Windows 10 GUI "Import file..." issues

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
bsmorgan
OpenVpn Newbie

Windows 10 GUI "Import file..." issues

Post by bsmorgan » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:34 pm

I've been using OpenVPN for years but I'm having problems with Windows 10 OpenVPN GUI 11.10.0.0.

My server (and most of the other servers I've used) generate a client config file as a .zip containing an .ovpn file and a .p12 file. When I right-click on the OpenVPN GUI icon in the system tray after a fresh install the most obvious entry is "Import file...". That brings up a file open dialog with the filter set to .ovpn and I can navigate to the folder where I downloaded the .zip file and extracted the files and import the .ovpn file.

However, when I try to connect, I get an error in the log that the .p12 file is missing.

Why doesn't "Import file..." allow for other file types (like .p12) or better yet, why not allow for .zip files and extract the contents automagically?

I guess another option might be that my .ovpn file shouldn't reference outside files and the .p12 file should be embedded inside, but if that can be done, I haven't found instructions on how to do that.

If this is an inappropriate place to ask these questions, then please respond with more appropriate location. If you would like to see the client file(s) generated by my current server (IPFire), let me know.

If I manually put the .p12 file in the Users\<name>\OpenVPN\config folder, then OpenVPN functions perfectly. The problem is that my users are not always technically proficient and my step-by-step instructions would be much simpler if I can solve this issue.