Cannot connect to Internet or other computers when on OpenVPN server

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
MarianH
OpenVpn Newbie

Cannot connect to Internet or other computers when on OpenVPN server

Post by MarianH » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:40 pm

Hello,
I've set up the OpenVPN server on Asus RT-AC66U_B1 flashed with Merlin 380.69_2. Now I am able to connect to the server remotely - the OpenVPN log from the client shows the connection was successful, however there are 2 issues:
1. I cannot connect to the local computers nor the router. The client computer just simply doesn't 'see' them. Ping is not working either.
2. Internet connection is not working. Tried to ping google, IP is shown, however request timed out.
My local network is 192.168.2.0 and the OpenVPN is set up at 10.8.0.0, both of them on 255.255.255.0
I would need to set up all this on the server side, because I'll connect to the network windows computers as well as the Android phones.
I've tried to google this and found various advices, but not exactly solving my issue.

May I kindly ask you to help me with the instructions what to write where, please? Preferably if anyone knows how to manage this in the Merlin firmware because it seems it has to be written in a certain place, but I am not sure where exactly.

Thanks a lot in advance.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Cannot connect to Internet or other computers when on OpenVPN server

Post by TinCanTech » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:25 pm

MarianH wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:40 pm
OpenVPN server on Asus RT-AC66U_B1 flashed with Merlin 380.69_2
We don't have anything specific to your router.
MarianH wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:40 pm
1. I cannot connect to the local computers nor the router. The client computer just simply doesn't 'see' them. Ping is not working either.
2. Internet connection is not working. Tried to ping google, IP is shown, however request timed out.
These two sections of the HOWTO explain what openvpn requires:
HOWTO: Expanding the scope of the VPN to include additional machines
HOWTO: Routing all client traffic (including web-traffic) through the VPN

I suggest you read the entire HOWTO.

MarianH
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Cannot connect to Internet or other computers when on OpenVPN server

Post by MarianH » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:27 pm

Hello,
I was able to fix routing of all traffic through the VPN. I've read through all the howto's, but unfortunately was not able to identify how to fix my issue with not being able to see and access the other machines on the local LAN, sorry. Any suggestions how this could be fixed, please?
Thank you.