Need Help With OpenVPN Server Logs

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
gil_happy
OpenVpn Newbie

Need Help With OpenVPN Server Logs

Post by gil_happy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:44 pm

Hello, I recently setup a VPN between two different locations using DDWRT routers installed at location and I trying to determine what these log messages / errors mean.

Looking at the OpenVPN Server log (which I have attached), I noticed there are a bunch of client disconnected messages at the bottom of the log. Unfortunately I am not in front of the Client location to do any testing (I'm currently at Server location). I don't know if these logs mean it is not working, or if they are extraneous considering that the Server State = CONNECTED SUCCESS.

Thanks in advance!

Pippin
Forum Team

Re: Need Help With OpenVPN Server Logs

Post by Pippin » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:08 pm

No log visible and you need the client log @ verb 4.

See:
viewtopic.php?t=22603

gil_happy
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by gil_happy » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:27 pm

Hi, thank you for replying... a couple of things: since I'm currently on the server side, I don't have remote access to the client side for client logs. Here is the server side logs:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xDE2QL ... sp=sharing

Unfortunately I tried to make sense of the link you sent me (verb 4, etc), but couldn't quite understand what it is asking for (I'm guessing a certain format for the logs?) Hopefully the attached picture will work for the time being? I apologize in advance.

Pippin
Forum Team

Post by Pippin » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:55 pm

The router GUI is connecting to the management interface to show status messages (127.0.0.1:14), nothing wrong with that.

The certificate not yet valid....
Check the time settings from router and client(s) and also check the validity period of all certificates.

gil_happy
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by gil_happy » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:23 pm

Hi, thanks for the info about the 127.0.0.1:14 messages. Interesting that you brought up the part about the time settings - this is something I had help with when originally setting up the VPN. If you look at the attached picture, here are my comments about the time:

- both PH2 and PH1 have the same date and TOD (it is the current date and time from EST)
- on VH2, I set this up in EST, even though this location is physically in the west coast.
- on VH1, I'm not sure if this matters, but it 'might' be PST (I can't remember right now and will need to check when I'm back at the Client (west coast) location)

Here is a very simplified picture of my network (I have a more detailed diagram with ports, IP addresses, etc):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DW4OLv ... sp=sharing

Also, how do you check the validity period of all certificates?

gil_happy
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by gil_happy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:58 pm

Hi, sorry to press on this one, but any comments on my update from over the weekend?

Thanks

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:53 pm

We cannot read your log ..

Please see:
HOWTO: Request Help ! {2}

gil_happy
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by gil_happy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:39 am

Hi, can you see the screen shot of the errors from my DDWRT Server:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xDE2QL ... h79uL/view

And then a simple network diagram:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DW4OLv ... _9xQC/view

Unfortunately since this is setup on DDWRT routers, the commands in the example don't exactly apply to this.

From 'Pippin' response based upon the logs, the certificate apparently is not valid - my question is how to validity period of the certificate(s)?

Thanks again