Gatway problem with TAP configuration

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
germanguy
OpenVpn Newbie

Gatway problem with TAP configuration

Post by germanguy » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:37 pm

Hi,

I'm fairly new to OpenVPN and I'm hoping somebody can help me out with this problem:

I have 2 ASUS routers in 2 locations. Theses routers have build-in OpenVPN.

Location 1 is configurated as OpenVPN Server using TAP. This is a cable modem set up as Gateway 192.168.0.1
Location 2 is OpenVPN client. This is also a cable modem router (Gateway address 192.168.0.250)
So both locations are permanently connected with each other, allowing me to share network resources.

When I'm in location 1 I'd like to use the local Gateway 192.168.0.1 for fast internet access. The routesr OpenVPN configuration page has an option "Direct clients to redirect Internet traffic" which is disabled. I only want to share network resources, not redirect internet traffic.
I never had a problem with Windows computers. They all use the local Gateway with no additional setup. However, I have noticed that iMacs and iphones seem to sometimes use the remote Gateway 192.168.0.250 instead, making web-browsing slow.
I can obviously manually set up each iphone or iMac to use the desired local gateway.
But is there a way to tell them automatically which one to use ? The apple clients don't seem to care about the "Direct clients to redirect Internet traffic" option.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Gatway problem with TAP configuration

Post by TinCanTech » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:46 pm

To my knowledge, phone can not use TAP only TUN ..

Please see:
HOWTO: Request Help !

germanguy
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by germanguy » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:38 pm

TinCanTech wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:46 pm
To my knowledge, phone can not use TAP only TUN ..

Please see:
HOWTO: Request Help !
that is correct.

I was taking about a phone simply being connected to the local router via WIFI will use the gateway of the remote location instead of the local one

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:06 pm

So not using openvpn on the phone ?